Carl L. Stine is a graduate of Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 1989) where he was the Editor in Chief of the Fordham International Law Journal. After law school, Mr. Stine was a litigation associate in the New York office of Willkie Farr & Gallagher. Mr. Stine was named to the 2009 - 2021 Super Lawyers list, New York Metro Edition, in the area of Securities Litigation; was included in the 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 Super Lawyers "Top 100" list for the New York Metro area; in 2015, was selected to be a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation; and in 2019, was nominated to be a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
Since joining Wolf Popper in June of 1995, Mr. Stine has participated in the prosecution of merger and acquisition litigation challenging transactions involving, among others, MSG Networks, Inc., GGP, Inc., Lineage Cell Therapeutics, Inc., AmTrust Financial Services, Inc., Hansen Medical, Handy & Harman, Metrologic Instruments, Inc., Zale, Fusion-io, National Interstate, M&F Worldwide Corp., Venoco, Inc., EDAC Technologies Corp., KSW Inc., MModal, Inc., RAE Systems, Inc., eResearch Technology, Inc., Icagen, Inc., American Surgical Holdings, Inc., Wachovia Corporation, OpenTV Corp., Indevus Pharmaceuticals, Inc., The Topps Co., EDO Corp., James River Group, Inc., ftd.com, Genencor International, Inc., Uni-Marts, Inc., Nassda Corp., William Lyon Homes, and Net2Phone, Inc. He has also litigated securities class actions such as against AmTrust Financial Services, Inc., Seitel, Inc., Sunbeam Corp., Archer Daniels Midland Co., Caremark, Inc., and Leslie Fay Co., and consumer fraud class actions against, for example, Walgreen Co., Walmart Inc., GNC Holdings, Inc., Nutra Manufacturing LLC, International Vitamin Corp., Dr.’s Best, Inc., related to their roles in selling and marketing fake dietary supplements, and Express Scripts, Inc., H.I.P of Greater New York, Sprint PCS, Chase Manhattan Mortgage Corp., and NYNEX.
Selected decisions where Mr. Stine served as counsel include:
- Martinek v. AmTrust Fin. Servs., 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 146542 (S.D.N.Y. Aug. 14, 2020)
- In re AmTrust Fin's Services, Inc. Stockholder Litigation, Consolidated C.A. No. 2018-0396-AGB (Del. Ch. Feb. 26, 2020)
- Kosinski v. GGP, Inc., 2019 Del. Ch. LEXIS 328 (Del. Ch. Aug. 28, 2019)
- In re Hansen Medical, Inc. Stockholder Litigation, 2018 Del. Ch. LEXIS 197 (Del. Ch. June 18, 2018)
- In re Handy & Harman Ltd. Stockholder Litigation, 2018 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 1712 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. N.Y. County May 9, 2018)
- In re Metrologic Instruments, Inc. S'holders Litigation, 2017 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 317 (N.J. Super Ct. App. Div. Feb. 10, 2017)
- Frechter v. Zier (Nutrisystem), 2017 Del. Ch. LEXIS 14 (Del. Ch. Jan. 24, 2017)
- Kahn v. M&F Worldwide Corp., 88 A.3d 635 (Del. 2014)
- Frank v. Elgamal (American Surgical), 2012 Del. Ch. LEXIS 62 (Del. Ch. Mar. 30, 2012)
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. Brown, 988 A.2d 412 (Del. 2010)
- Ehrenhaus v. Baker (Wachovia/Wells Fargo), 2008 NCBC 20 (N.C. Super. Ct. 2008)
- Alaska Elec. Pension Fund v. Brown, 941 A.2d 1011 (Del. 2007)
- In re Scientific Atlanta, Inc. Sec. Litig., 571 F. Supp. 2d 1315 (N.D. Ga. 2007)
- In re The Topps Company S'holders Litigation, 926 A.2d 58 (Del. Ch. 2007)
- In re The Topps Company S'holders Litigation, 924 A.2d 951 (Del. Ch. 2007)
- In re Seitel, Inc. Securities Litigation, 447 F. Supp. 2d 693 (S.D. Tex. 2006);
- Yang v. Odom, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 18089 (D.N.J. 2005);
- Yang v. Odom, 392 F. 3d 97 (3d Cir. 2004);
- In re U.S. Liquids Securities Litigation, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26713 (S.D. Tex. 2002);
- Blatt v. Muse Technologies, Inc., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 18466 (D. Mass. 2002);
- In re Sunbeam Securities Litigation, 176 F. Supp. 2d 1323 (S.D. Fla. 2001);
- In re Sunbeam Securities Litigation, 261 B.R. 534 (S.D. Fla. 2001);
- Collmer v. U.S. Liquids, Inc., 268 F. Supp. 2d 718 (S.D. Tex. 2001);
- In re World Access, Inc. Securities Litigation, 119 F. Supp. 2d 1348 (N.D. Ga. 2000);
- In re Sunbeam Securities Litigation, 89 F. Supp. 2d 1326 (S.D. Fla. 1999);
- Taylor v. American Bankers Ins.Group, Inc., 267 A.D.2d 178, 700 N.Y.S.2d 458 (1st Dep't 1999);
- In re WebSecure, Inc. Securities Litigation, 182 F.R.D. 364 (D. Mass. 1998);
- Tanzer v. Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York, 238 A.D.2d 109, 665 N.Y.S.2d 493 (N.Y. App. Div. 1st Dep't), rev'd, 91 N.Y.2d 850 (1997);
- In re Caremark International, Inc. Securities Litigation, 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10948 (N.D. Ill. 1997);
- Lerner v. Tele-Communications, Inc., 215 A.D.2d 731, 627 N.Y.S.2d 733 (N.Y. App. Div. 2d Dep't 1995);
- Sheerbonnet, Ltd. v. American Express Bank Ltd., 17 F.3d 46 (2d Cir. 1994).
Mr. Stine is admitted to the New York State Bar, and the Bars of the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the Eastern District of Michigan, the District of Colorado, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Stine became a partner at Wolf Popper on January 1, 2002.