Robert M. Kornreich, is a graduate of Columbia College (B.A. 1963), the School of Law of the State University of New York at Buffalo (1967, LL.B. -- member of the Buffalo Law Review) and New York University School of Law (LL.M. 1968). Following law school, he joined the Firm where he concentrated in the area of securities class and derivative litigation in federal and state courts. He was a senior member of the Firm since February 1984 and a partner since 1979. Prior to becoming Of Counsel to the Firm on January 1, 2016, he was a long time member of the Firm's Executive Committee and its Chief Financial Officer.
Mr. Kornreich has acted as sole lead or co-lead counsel in many notable class or derivative action cases, such as:
- Anwar v. Fairfield Greenwish Ltd., 09-cv-0118 (VM) (S.D.N.Y.) ($80.25 million partial settlement in 2013);
- Ehrenhaus v. Baker (Wachovia/Wells Fargo), 717 S.E.2d 9, 2011 N.C. App. LEXIS 2161 (N.C. App. Oct. 4, 2011), appeal dism'd, review den'd, 2012 N.C. LEXIS 1099 (N.C. Dec. 12, 2012) (settlement preserving injunctive relief);
- In re Tycom Ltd. Securities Litigation, Case. No. 03-3540 (GEB) (D.N.J.), ($79 million settlement in 2010);
- In re McDonnell Douglas Equipment Leasing Securities Litigation, MDL No. 873 (S.D.N.Y.) (settled with cash benefits to the classes in excess of $16 million);
- In Re JWP Inc. Securities Litigation, Master File No. 92 Civ. 5815 (WCC) (S.D.N.Y.) (settled for approximately $36 million);
- In re Service Corporation Int'l, C.A. No. H-99-280 (S.D. Tex.) (settlement for $65 million);
- In re Sunbeam Securities Litigation, 98-8258-Civ. Middlebrooks (S.D. Fla.) (settlement for $141 million, including $110 million from Sunbeam's outside auditor);
- Berke v. Presstek, Inc., Civ. No. 96-347-M (D.N.H.) (settlement for $22 million in stock);
- In re TCW/DW American Government Income Trust Securities Litigation, 95 Civ. 0167 (PKL) (S.D.N.Y.) (settlement for $30 million where two other firms also brought similar class actions but failed to obtain any recovery);
- Retsky Family Limited Partnership v. Price Waterhouse LLP, Case No. 97 C 7694 (N.D. Ill.) (settlement for $14 million);
- In Re Triarc Companies, Inc. Class and Derivative Litigation, C.A. No. 15746 (Del. Ch.) (settlement for $11 million in economic benefits);
- In re FTD.com, Inc. Shareholders Litigation, C.A. No. 19458-NC (Del Ch.) (settlement for $10.7 million in increased merger consideration);
Mr. Kornreich has argued appeals in many state and federal courts, including the New York Court of Appeals, as well as, the D.C. Circuit, the Eleventh Circuit and the Sixth Circuit. His notable appellate decisions include Barr v. Wackman, 36 N.Y.2d 371 (1975); Lipton v. Documation, 734 F.2d 740 (11th Cir. 1984), and; In re Subpoena Served Upon the Comptroller of the Currency, 967 F.2d 630 (D.C. Cir. 1992).
Mr. Kornreich is a recognized leader in the field of class action shareholder securities litigation and served as Chair of the Committee on Securities and Exchanges of the New York County Lawyers' Association from 1993 to 1997. He has prosecuted hundreds of securities class actions and has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for the classes he has represented.